High school teacher dies after drinking too much ‘hot stuff’

A teacher at Mpopoma High School in Bulawayo is believed to have died in his sleep after allegedly drinking “too much hot stuff” at a shebeen in the suburb of Cowdray Park.

Benwell Mudanwa (45), who has not gone to work since serving a suspension for being found drunk during working hours, allegedly swallowed a bottle of Cane Spirit last Sunday.

It is reported that on the day in question and around 6 p.m., Mudanwa left his home to go drinking with his friends at a shebeen in the suburb of Cowdray Park.

Around 7 p.m., his wife received a phone call telling her that her husband had collapsed after drinking a bottle of hot stuff.

“His wife rushed to the shebeen and found him lying on the floor breathing with difficulty and she picked him up before taking him to their house. She left him lying on their bed and went to sleep at his parents,” the source said. .

When she returned the next morning, she found him dead.

“His wife reported the incident to Cowdray Park Police Station where police called an ambulance crew who attended and confirmed his death. Following this his lifeless body was transported to the hospital for an autopsy,” the family member said.

In a related incident, another Bulawayo man, Oscar Sibanda (37), died last week on Saturday after allegedly drinking too much Cane Spirit at his home in Makokoba suburb.

According to her younger brother, after drinking the hot stuff, Sibanda started coughing excessively.

“He went to bed and when I went to see him later he was breathing hard and after that I called an ambulance and his team pronounced him dead on arrival,” the younger brother said.

Acting Bulawayo Police Spokesman Deputy Inspector Nomalanga Msebele confirmed both incidents and discouraged community members, especially drinkers, from taking too much hot stuff.

Comments are closed.